Accommodation for minors under 18 years old
According to Article 82 of Brazilian Children & Adolescent Statute (ECA), minors under 18 years old can only be accepted for accommodation if authorized or accompanied by parents or guardians. When accompanied, they must present an ID document.
• If one of the parents is absent, it is necessary to present authorization from this parent authenticated in a registrar’s office.
• If the child is staying with a guardian, it is necessary to resent authorization from both parents authenticated in a registrar’s office. Make a copy of this authorization and attach it to the child’s National Guest Registration Form.
• In the event of a parent being separated or divorced, an authenticated copy of the legal decision granting custody of the minor must be presented. In the absence of such a decision, the documents of both parents will be necessary, and both will have to sign the aforementioned document.
• When the child or adolescent is traveling unaccompanied by either parents or guardians, in order to stay at a hotel, motel, boarding house or similar establishment, it is necessary to present express authorization from the parents through a public or private document, with authenticated signatures attained from a registrar’s office or similar (article 82, of Law 8,069//90).
• When dealing with foreigners: the identity document must be a passport, and the other documents must be requested normally.